Author Topic: Server Question  (Read 4373 times)

sore piles

• View Profile
Server Question
« on: December 17, 2013, 08:57:20 pm »
Ok, so I know the server has associated costs etc, so I'm thinking how we could generate $$$ to subsidize this...

What about charging people for the facility to play on the bots team for a night?

Could it be done?

Andy - Sore Piles

General DN 101

• Owner/Founder/President
  • General of Technetic
    • View Profile
Re: Server Question
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 11:03:58 am »
I have moved your post this separate thread as the place you originally posted to was not relevant to the topic.

First, thank you for inquiry.
Yes, we do have a pretty heft monthly cost to keep our servers up and running.
In the past, we would have several donations a month from our Members and Players in the server.
However, due to the economy, holiday season and cost of living, those donations have slimmed.
So whatever the donations don't cover I will usually pick up the tab as will some of our Members if I'm running short.

Although, I hate asking people for money, or even handling it to begin with, but everything has a cost and unfortunately i can't always cover it.
Half the time I barely get the chance to play in the servers, but I do enjoy the community and gaming and will always do whatever I can to keep active and available.

You can find a list of our donors here: http://www.technetic.net/forums/index.php?board=25.0
There might be a few missing that I forgot to post. (Which I'm going to check through my logs right now and try and update.)

Little History on myself and Technetic Gaming. I used to be apart of another clan, it was dead when I joined and brought new life to the clan, brought in a ton of new members and even brought some old members out of retirement. I started running the servers and doing all the setup and management of the servers and clan. Then the owner stopped paying for things so I started picking up the tab. Donations would come in to cover the server funds, but he was pocketing most of the money if not all of it while I continued to fund the servers. Finally I got fed up with all of it and there was a bit of a dramatic exit, but I left that clan and started my own. A group of the members came with me. The others were fed a story from the owner and never found out the truth from themselves until months later where they forced him to give up the clan to another member who had already driven it into the ground.

Needless to say I do not like the way they operated and they didn't want to change. So after a nasty divorce with them, I opened up Technetic Gaming earlier this year. I am very pleased with our progress and am very happy and proud of the team we have assembled. I do not seek to profit off of the server funds. An example of this is when I first opened Technetic Gaming we received a lot of large donations to contribute to server funding. Rather than paying for the month and pocketing the rest I left the money in the account to cover the cost of the coming months. This is a non-profit organization.

So back to your inquiry. We are welcome to ideas of generating revenue for the servers.
I'm not sure how easily it could be done to allow a player to join the bot team for the night.
I do fear that if they were allowed to join the bot team, the opposing players might get upset.
After an update to the CS:CZ Server released from Steam/Valve, we had an issue where players were able to join the bot team if they connected to quickly. The bug still kind of exists today, but I have made a patch so that it doesn't happen very often to my knowledge. But when that did happen, we did receive a lot of complains about it. Hence the rule (don't play on the bot team).

Our Leadership Team Has Discussed the potential of offering paid admin for non-clan members.
But we fear that might lead to some problems with admin abused, arguments of refunds, etc...
It hasn't been ruled out, but it still has a lot of things we need to work out. I've heard we've received a lot of requests for this, but when I've asked for the specific names, I have not been able to obtain them.
So even if we do end up going with paid admin, we will have to reserve the right to selection.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:06:06 am by DuMnUt 101 »

BraveFart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 09:42:15 pm »
Hi Sore Piles,

Thanks for your inquiry and feedback.  I think Dumnut summed it up more eloquently than I could have.  With regards to the ex-clan that he and I were a part of, when he advised me of the theft/fraud of the funds, I was absolutely enraged and of course; I quit the clan.  Now, with the new clan...I've been here over a year now, things have been very good and all of the members and most of the players live in harmony.  I know Dumnut is trusted and that's why I switched over to this clan and the donations have definitely been used to keep the servers operational.

Asking people - especially, complete strangers is not an easy thing to do.  Ask telemarketers how they feel about asking people for their time, let alone money.  I know that Dumnut has only asked once for donations from the clan members, only because it is difficult with personal life and trying to keep these servers going.  Otherwise, it would be easier for him simply to shut everything down and then having a private LAN server set up.  He has 5 servers that have to be maintained and it's a lot of work for him, which is why he needs help from members to "police" the server and forums, and any donations to help everything run smoothly.

That being said, if there's an idea that you can think of that would possibly help with the maintenance costs without imposing on a player, then we'd be open to it!  Thanks again for your time.

BraveFart

sore piles

• View Profile
C
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 06:35:22 am »
Roger that!

OK, so being the person that I am I have to say that I have some experience with 'self funding' enterprises, and I'm all about making this clan/server a perpetually self funding enterprise.

So that being said, I'd like to put my money where my mouth is and before anything else happens I'd like to donate some $$$ to keep this server running (DuMnUt, please PM me with details on how I can do this)

So, now we're into the good stuff, I have a whole bag of ideas I'd like to run by the gaffer (please remember,although  I live in Miami I'm still a Brit! so please forgive the colloquialisms) that will get us to a point where we can fund the servers from other sources and not rely on donations alone.

Please take this in the manner that it's given, I just want to throw some ideas out there and see what sticks, I don't want to step on any toes.

Peace out,

Andy -Sore Piles

Andy - Sore Piles

General DN 101

• General of Technetic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:48:03 am »
Your not stepping on any toes by providing ideas. I'm always welcome to ideas. I tried ads in the past, but long story short that didn't work out to well. Plus, I really didn't like the idea of ads in the first place...

So again, we are always open to ideas and if they can be rolled out with out controversy or conflict, than I will do so.
Otherwise the clan will vote on it.

I'm sure they are plenty of ways out there, I just don't have the time to research them for their value, success or implementation.

There are 3 ways to donate:
http://www.technetic.net/forums/index.php?page=Donate
Via Amazon Check Out.
Via PayPal.
Via NFOServers (Our Hosting Company).

We have dabbled the idea of switch hosting companies as we've had a few problems with NFOServers, but haven't found a viable solution yet. That's why I opened up the donations to go directly to me via PayPal or Amazon; because any donations directly to NFOServers can only be used at NFOServers. (However, I then don't get taxed on the donations and there are no fees taken out of it for the transaction. I did recently discover if you donate with PayPal using your bank account that you assigned in your PayPal account it doesn't cost any fees, however if you use PayPal to pay with a debit or credit card then the fees are applied. If you show at Amazon, then using the Amazon check out is a breeze. The fees used to be lower, but recently they have changed and now match that of PayPal.

So I wanted to give donors options as means of donating. In the future, I may setup my account to accept transactions using Google Wallet.

So again, we are open to any ideas you have an I can try and incorporate them if they are reasonable and feasible.

BraveFart

• View Profile
Re: C
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 05:50:51 pm »
Roger that!

OK, so being the person that I am I have to say that I have some experience with 'self funding' enterprises, and I'm all about making this clan/server a perpetually self funding enterprise.

So that being said, I'd like to put my money where my mouth is and before anything else happens I'd like to donate some $$$ to keep this server running (DuMnUt, please PM me with details on how I can do this)

So, now we're into the good stuff, I have a whole bag of ideas I'd like to run by the gaffer (please remember,although  I live in Miami I'm still a Brit! so please forgive the colloquialisms) that will get us to a point where we can fund the servers from other sources and not rely on donations alone.

Please take this in the manner that it's given, I just want to throw some ideas out there and see what sticks, I don't want to step on any toes.

Peace out,

Andy -Sore Piles

Wow.  My eyes got a boner reading this.  Very well written/spoken.  You "carry" yourself well!  We appreciate the donation and thank you for any given!  Dumnut has provided the link as to how and where to do so.  Thanks again!

BraveFart

sore piles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 07:00:56 pm »
Thanks   :D

I sent the donation via paypal so you guys can decide where best to use it.

I'll get the 'idea train' moving

I personally like the idea giving people the option of making a nominal donation and in return giving them something that costs the server/clan nothing. An example of that would be donate $5 and name a bot , so the person who donates gets to rename a bot whatever they want [T] BOT My Boss or whatever their boss's name is.
Again this is just an example of charging people for something that has a 'soft' cost.

I agree with DumNut that advertising rarely works, having affiliate links generally work pretty well.

I can go into more detail later as I'm in work now  :)

Andy - Sore Piles
Andy - Sore Piles

General DN 101

• General of Technetic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 07:40:43 pm »

I personally like the idea giving people the option of making a nominal donation and in return giving them something that costs the server/clan nothing. An example of that would be donate $5 and name a bot , so the person who donates gets to rename a bot whatever they want [T] BOT My Boss or whatever their boss's name is.
Again this is just an example of charging people for something that has a 'soft' cost.

I agree with DumNut that advertising rarely works, having affiliate links generally work pretty well.

Andy - Sore Piles

Wow.  My eyes got a boner reading this.  Very well written/spoken.  You "carry" yourself well!

BraveFart

See Andy, I saw that cuming.. I was telling Andy via PM that Brave was going to love em for his writing abilities, after he had PM me regarding my type-o on the Member Roster.. LOL

Thank you for your Donation Andy. I just saw it this morning as I was coming home from work.
http://www.technetic.net/forums/index.php?topic=361.0

I researched the donations we have received. I confirmed I had posted up all the donations in separate threads, but I realiaze I forgot to populate that same data in the Donation Log.
I was able to do the research, but didn't have the time to update it yet, so I'll try again tonight.

I like the idea of allowing naming of a bot or bots for donations.
Not sure why I never thought of that before as you may have noticed the rather peculiar bot names we have currently which was courtesy of [T] Discrete Gentleman.
So given your donation... Would you like to name a bot(s)?

We also thought about giving donors a custom player skin, but I've seen some issue with the custom skins (still working on it though).

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:45:54 pm by DuMnUt 101 »

KILLER

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 02:18:05 am »

Andy - Sore Piles

Wow.  My eyes got a boner reading this.  Very well written/spoken.  You "carry" yourself well!

BraveFart

See Andy, I saw that cuming.. I was telling Andy via PM that Brave was going to love em for his writing abilities, after he had PM me regarding my type-o on the Member Roster.. LOL

Thank you for your Donation Andy. I just saw it this morning as I was coming home from work.
http://www.technetic.net/forums/index.php?topic=361.0

I researched the donations we have received. I confirmed I had posted up all the donations in separate threads, but I realiaze I forgot to populate that same data in the Donation Log.
I was able to do the research, but didn't have the time to update it yet, so I'll try again tonight.

I like the idea of allowing naming of a bot or bots for donations.
Not sure why I never thought of that before as you may have noticed the rather peculiar bot names we have currently which was courtesy of [T] Discrete Gentleman.
So given your donation... Would you like to name a bot(s)?

We also thought about giving donors a custom player skin, but I've seen some issue with the custom skins (still working on it though).
I like this idea ... does that mean we gonna have a [boT] sore piles ???? ;)

BraveFart

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 01:58:58 am »
great idea - naming a bot in honour of someone donating!

sore piles

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 02:18:14 pm »
I have a ton more of these!
Andy - Sore Piles

<--N--V->

• Technetic Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 08:57:10 pm »
"Bot [T] Sittin on my sorepiles"     Love it... Thanks for the donation bro...Cya in the servers!

sore piles

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 04:39:17 pm »
I have a ton more of these!

Example:

Bioshock Triple Pack - $15 at Amazon!!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DOD0TZG?tag=miakayfis-20
Andy - Sore Piles

BraveFart

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 03:50:19 am »
Not understanding what you are getting at....

sore piles

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 11:22:41 am »
Not understanding what you are getting at....

Sorry, I should have explained it better.

It's an affiliate link - see the "?tag=miakayfis-20" at the end of the url, that tells amazon to link it to my affiliate account.
Anyone who clicks on the link then make any purchase at amazon, I get cash for... doesn't sound too flashy right?
The truth is it's not, and it won't make us a ton of money but it will make us some.
As an example, when I was playing around with this stuff I was into kayak fishing, I posted a brief review about a  kayak seat and put the link to the seat (with my affiliate code) on the forum I was posting to, year to date that post has made $35, not a lot of money but it's a start.

So part of my plan is to see if Dumnut could create a new section in the forum for Hardware/Software reviews and have members review products, we can then add the affiliate links to the post and make a small amount of cash from each time someone used the link to buy something from amazon.
It also gives the members a way to contribute without donating, by used our links the clan gets the cash and they're not out of pocket any more than they would have been.

There are a few more details I'd like to iron out but like I said, it's a start.
Having up-to-date reviews in the forum is also a great tactic for increasing traffic which is ultimately where the cash will come from.

Sorry if this post is all over the place, it's 6am and I can't sleep :(

Andy - Sore Piles
Andy - Sore Piles