Author Topic: Window 10  (Read 3409 times)

vindisel

• Technetic Sergeant
    • View Profile
Window 10
« on: May 26, 2016, 11:21:52 pm »
Hi guys,
I upgraded my Laptop  from 8.1 Pro to Window 10 last night (free) after talked with people at Microsoft store in the mall. So far I like it, it runs faster than Window 8.1 Pro with my Dell laptop SSD Hard-drive. It is new so I haven't see any concern yet...I will update next week see how it's going.
Want to know anyone in here used it and would like to share experience for us. Thanks guys

Vin ;)

General DN 101

• Owner/Founder/President
  • General of Technetic
    • View Profile
Re: Window 10
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 12:43:27 am »
I love it. I stared using Windows 10 early in their testing phase before it was release to public.
There are so many things I continually enjoy about it.
For starters:
The Start Menu - They put it back to the Windows 7 style with a (Windows 8.1 Flare).
I was not a fan of the Windows 8.1 start menu, nor was just about anyone else.
Windows 10 does have a nice feature for 2 in 1 pc/tables in that it knows when it goes into table mode to turn on that windows 8.1 start menu which I guess is good since that old start menu was originally designed for touch screen devices.
So yes, start menu was a big bonus.

Second, they added a feature many may not know about or use but if you use the WINDOWS key + the Left or Right arrow it will take the window you are looking it and perfectly align it on the left or right side of the screen (in case you wanted to do any side by side comparison). This feature has been around for a while, but they took it one step further in that you've moved the window to the left or right side of the screen you can use WINDOWS + UpArrow or DownArrow and it will now shrink the window to the left corner so you can actually get 4 perfectly shaped windows in each corner of the screeen if you want.

Third, I love with they did on the detailed view of the task manager. Where you can clearly see what's going with the system and the processes. For example you maybe a process isn't using a lot of CPU or Memory (which we normally can see as a problem), they added the DISK I/O and Network Traffic where you can see if there is a lot of hard drive and or network traffic that are causing your system to be bogged down.

Fourth, Command prompt can finally go fully screen. I use it for a lot of things. And hated how the previous versions could simply not allow you for more then just a small left side of the screen..

Fifth, it works great on older systems too.

Sixth, They have an option to have the tasks bars showing on each screen (if you have more then 1) which I have 3 at home and work... (I wanted this feature in the past), but no longer have a use for it as it takes up to much space, but I will say that is really nice feature.

Seven, they are added a feature called workspace(s). Which essentially say you had 3 Screens and you were working on a couple different projects.
You can setup a work space having your applications open on the various workspaces then switch work spaces and open completely separate apps then go back to the first work space without interfering with each other. I don't use this feature myself, but I do think it's very handy.

I do have complaints though. Cortona is annoying as hell and was the first thing on my task bar to go. So it got disabled along with their massive privacy information they give out (by default - that need to be disabled).

All in all - I was installing Windows 7 on all my machines for the longest time as it worked for me... (refusing to install windows 8.1)... now I install windows 10 without hesitation.

BraveFart

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 08:15:12 am »
Sounds like a lot of positives to Win 10.  I can't help that I'm old-fashioned...so, I'm still sticking with Windows 8.

General DN 101

• General of Technetic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 12:45:12 pm »
Sounds like a lot of positives to Win 10.  I can't help that I'm old-fashioned...so, I'm still sticking with Windows 8.
You're killing me!
Would it help if I fired up a virtual machine that you could log into and test it out?

vindisel

• Technetic Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 02:49:43 pm »
I'm old fashion too, but I like it after use. You can try maj.Brave and if you don't like it you can down-grade back to Win8 later.
Am I right General about down-grade? :-[

General DN 101

• General of Technetic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 08:24:42 pm »
Yes, I hear the down-grade (Roll-Back) is an option.. Typically 30 days from what I can recall, but there is a way to extend it...
What happens is after 30 days (after upgrading to windows 10, It will simply remove all of your old unnecessary Windows 8.1 OS files...

I've never actually tried the roll-back myself... After using Win 10, I would never go back to 8.1.
I heard millions of complains going from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1...
...but I haven't heard any complaints from people switching from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

BraveFart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 07:32:07 am »
The only way that I'm getting Windows 10 is if I get a new computer...

vindisel

• Technetic Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 07:06:20 am »
hello friends,
It has been a week after installed Win 10 for my Laptop. I like it so much and I did to my PC also before FREE download expire on 7/29/16.
It has more functions than regular guy like me need it. I recommend download it if you haven't try it yet...
Thanks guy

Vin

vindisel

• Technetic Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 12:49:28 am »
I need help on my PC. Last night I turned my PC on, hear some noise like scratching/clicking in hard-drive area about 10 seconds, then my PC displayed message " Hard-disk drive failure. Strike F1 to continue, F2 to run setup utility". SO I did
Click F1 to continue...message on screen "Start PXE over IPv6". and screen frozen with this message. Turned off PC. Then turned on again, message display same
Click F2...saw BOOT order/sequence :
                     1st    internal hhd
                     2nd   usb storage device
                     3rd    usb internal odd device
                     4th    floppy device
                     5th    uefi  IP6 Realtekp......
mixing order around couple times....PC still not on
Then I used CD/DVD came with PC I bought , gave me option to repair, refresh or reinstall WIn8...My PC is running Win10 (tried restore, repair..no hope..said the drive is need to unlock). My question is
   1. Is my PC need new hard-drive? Can I save my data from old HD and how to do it?
   2. If I reinstall Win8 from DVD/CD..will all my files disappear forever? Or I can see it
   3. How can I post with picture in this forum? :P
 P/s : Dell Inspiron 660S Intel I3-2130 CPU @3.40 Ghz

General DN 101

• General of Technetic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 11:10:50 pm »
Hey Vin,

Sorry I missed this.
Based on what I'm hearing, yes it sounds like your HardDrive is dying, near death or already dead.
Yes, you will need to buy a new hard drive (not a new pc) install the new hard drive and use the dell disks to reinstall the Windows 8/10.
This will only get your PC back up and running.

About your files... It's hard to say if you can recover them... There might be some hope...  Here's what I would do...
Remove the dying/dead hard drive (do not use it.....)
Buy a new hard drive... (I'll get you some recommendations from Amazon).
When you receive the new hard drive, install it and use the dell/hp disks to reinstall the Windows 8/10 operating systems.
Get it all setup and functional again, then we'll work on a time to try to recover the files...
Usually at the ticking state its really bad... Your lucky if you get the most important files, your fortunate if you get the desired files, your extremely grateful if you get everything you want.

General DN 101

• General of Technetic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 11:18:08 pm »
Hard Drive Recommendations:
Western Digital - Hard Drives (Non-SSD)
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Performance-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B00FJRS6FU
WD - Black Drives are Built for Performance and Gaming.
They are extremely reliable. I've had some running for 15+ years.
WD makes other drives, like blue and green (they are cheaper) but have terrible performance.
Blue is designed for people that browse the internet and not much else.
Green is really designed for generalize storage that you don't access 100% of the time like an Operating System Requires.
It's a slower "greener" drive, but can work for a good time, but is not intended for performance an gaming.

SSD - Solid State Hard Drives
Obviously the Samsung is the best in the business right now, but I still heavily rely on Kingston.
Kingston has been the most reliable RAM company for the longest time 20+ years.
SSD's are essentially hard drives comprised of RAM chips... Hence why I believe they are reliable...
I've put this is my ancient laptop and saw a huge improvement:
https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-SSDNow-SV300S37A-120G/dp/B00A1ZTZOG

I put this in my desktop PC: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007R67FTY it's been running good...

I run WD - Red Drives in server and they've been pretty good - but again not designed for high end performance like gaming.

Please let me know how else I can help.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 11:22:11 pm by General DN 101 »

vindisel

• Technetic Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 07:24:13 am »
I took my PC to store, they replaced new Intel SSD 240Gb Hard-drive ($70 from Microcenter), installed Win10 cost me $69 :D, . They said they can not save or recovery any data from my old hard-drive. I bought USB hard-drive cable to read the old hard-drive...it wasn't show anything on my PC...Is there another way I can recovery my data General?
P/s: I'm not gonna take to lab...cost too much ;)

General DN 101

• General of Technetic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 12:57:25 pm »
The noises you mentioned sounded like a normal hard drive. (non-ssd)...
SSD's do not have moving parts to my knowledge. So you shouldn't have heard the noises you mentioned.
There a few hybrid SSD/HHD which utilize the best of both devices, but I didn't think manufactures were shipping them because they were a little more expensive, more rare, and people aren't exactly sure of their reliability yet...

Hard Drive recovery can be quite difficult. It all depends on how dead the hard drive is.
I typically use a Linux disk to talk to the hard drive as it seems like windows does a lot of unnecessary bullshit that puts strain on the drive, which causes disruptions in the recovery process (if even possible).

There are tons of different tools I tend to use, but the one has been the most promising is RunTime.
https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm
Downloaded link is here: https://www.runtime.org/runtimelivecd.iso

You will need to download the ISO then burn it to a CD.
I typically like using this utility to burn the ISO to a CD: https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads/burncdcc.zip

You will need to place the CD into the CDROM and reboot your computer... When the computer is first starting up.. It will give you the follow EXAMPLE of options:
F2 - Bios
F8 - Something Else
F10 - Something Else
F12 - Boot Options

I believe most of the time F12 is for boot options...
So the easier way is to shut the pc all the way down... Then press the power button to turn it on and immediately start taping the F12 key on the keyboard until you get to a menu. (Some manufactures use the DEL key or F10 so look for those options)...

Once you get to the menu select the option that resembles a DVD or CDROM and boot from it...
It may require you to press enter to continue booting to the disk...
When it full boots up the desktop should look like this:

I would have probably recommend you connected your hard drive VIA USB already..
Sometimes - If there is space inside of your computer tower and they left you extra cables, you can simply plug it inside of the tower.. Instead of trying to use USB. It will be much faster and much more reliable that way... Even if you have to have your PC open on and have the hard drive sitting out... Its still better..

From there you can use the "Assign Drive" link to mount the 2 hard drives (Your Primary and the One Your trying to recover data off of).
You should then be able to browse through each drive... Hint go into the drive letter go into the USERS folder then Select Your Name then go into probably the documents or desktop folder to view your files... If you don't see any files in those directories, chances are that you select the primary drive... so go to the other drive letter that you assigned and check for files there... But keep in mind... Where you were at is where you are more than likely going to want to save the files too.

Can you show me what USB cable to you bought.. I want to make sure it has the components it needs. I've found some of the USB components aren't always best for every scenario.

Also what is the make and model of your tower..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:26:39 pm by General DN 101 »