Author Topic: wad files  (Read 1669 times)

JD (Stinkfist)

• View Profile
wad files
« on: February 19, 2016, 04:30:38 am »
Im missing a wad file that crashes my cz and have to ctrl alt del to get rid of it. It only happens on a couple maps. dust_revolution is one.
I was chatting with another player and he has the same problem. I tried to delete map so I would get a fresh install, that didnt work. any ideas?
Be positive, love your life!

BraveFart

• View Profile
Re: wad files
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 07:05:54 am »
I get the same problem as well - so you're not alone.

General - can you assist on this?

General DN 101

• Owner/Founder/President
  • General of Technetic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:08:58 pm »
Pulled this from here:
https://technetic.net/forums/index.php?topic=1416.0

Meant to post this yesterday.
I hopped on seXy's PC to do what I thought was going to be a quick fix.

I soon discovered there was actually an issue in how Steam or the CZ game is handling .wad files.
Instead of downloading the .wad files as a file, it somehow is creating a directory called map_name.wad or whatever the referenced wad file was, in this case it was null.wad.

So at this time, until I can research a better fix (maybe there is a steam update that he needs that never came down, maybe CZ needs to be reinstalled so it gets updated properly, maybe it Windows 10 related since he recently updated.

We were able to get him up and running by copying over the null.wad file from my system (I gave him a few more .wad files as well).
He will get this issue again if he goes into a server that has a wad file he doesn't already have.
He needs to go into the czero_downloads file and delete the FOLDER called whateverfile.wad and then copy the null.wad file and rename it to whateverfile.wad and it should work.

We may need to contact valve regarding this issue. I'm still not on Windows 10 at home, so I don't know.
I did verify the file does exist on the server, just to make sure that was the case..

Let me know if anyone else runs into this issue or has a fix... I'm going to make a small application to fix this issue, but it will need to be ran everytime the issue is encountered.
Essentially you should be able to just rename copy any .wad file and rename it to the correct one.

JD (Stinkfist)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:43:58 pm »
I have windows 7 ultimate, holding out on 10..
For some reason Steam is creating a folder instead of a wad file. I deleted all wad folders and downloaded new wad files and put them where they belong.

http://icb.createaforum.com/wad-files/get-wad-files-here/

I got Dust 2 Revolution working for the first time  ever  ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:46:52 pm by JD (Stinkfist) »
Be positive, love your life!